@LowBitLovecraft     Morgopolis Studios                                                 Good Stuff! About

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Prettiest Game Ever Made

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron is a color orgy

(Music)
Played the demo of El Shaddai, a platformer/fighting game with a biblical-themed story. I've never seen anything like it.


The strange thing about this game is: I feel like I've played it before.

On the NES.

I'm really serious about that. I feel like I'm interacting with some forgotten logic that existed in the bygone age of video games. Do you remember those strange titles that existed in those early, boundless years? They possessed a different rhythm from what we're used to now. From the story to the flow of the game, things were different in the 8-bit days; and El Shaddai, more than any retro title I've played in years, struck that odd note.


It's hard as hell, by the way, and judging from a gameplay video performed by more capable hands I'm pretty confident that my time in front of a controller was spent playing it all wrong. This isn't a modern I-already-know-the-controls fighting game and it isn't a button-masher. To play El Shaddai you have to first admit that you don't know dick about El Shaddai. After that, I did a lot better.


Very pretty.

Extremely pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment